ORGAN/INSTITUTION: EAC Secretariat
DIRECTORATE: Directorate of Productive Sectors
REPORTS TO: The Director, Productive Sectors
DUTY STATION: EAC Headquarters-Arusha, Tanzania
To coordinate implementation of Chapter 19 of the Treaty establishing the East African Community, develop and ensure implementation of relevant projects and programmes, and Co-ordinate harmonization of relevant policies, regulations and legislation in Environment and Natural Resources
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Develop programmes for Conservation and management of Trans-boundary Ecosystems;
2. Co-ordinate the development of the Integrated Water Resources Management Strategy
and action plan; and initiate a study on the establishment of Water Resources Institute;
3. Finalize the harmonization of mineral resources development and management policies;
4. Coordinate the implementation of the EAC Climate Change Policy, strategy and Master
Plan and the operationalization of the EAC Climate Change Fund
5. Coordinate the Implementation of the EAC Framework for joint implementation of; and participation in Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs)
6. Coordinate the implementation of the EAC Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Strategy and the Sendai Framework on DRR
7. Coordinate the operationalization of the EAC DRR Bill including the establishment of the EAC DRR Unit
8. Coordinate the implementation of the EAC Post Rio plus 20 Plan of Action
9. Coordinate the implementation of the EAC plan of Action of the Nairobi Agreement on Air Pollution
10. Coordinate the finalization of a Regional Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan and the establishment of an EAC Gene bank
11. Coordinate the Operationalization of the EAC Biopama Observatory
12. Promote joint research in identified centers of excellence in Environmental and Natural Resources Management
13. Coordinate the implementation of the EAC Regional Biosafety Policy Framework;
14. Coordinate the Implementation of the EAC Strategy to combat poaching and illegal trade in wildlife products
15. Implement decisions of Organs of the Community relevant to the sector and prepare progress and annual reports; and
16. Perform any other duties as may be assigned by Management.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
i) An Advanced Degree (MSc, PhD) in Earth Sciences, life Sciences or related field;
ii) Specialized trainings in Environmental and/or Natural Resources Management is desirable;
iii) 10 years of experience in Environment and Natural Resources Policies and Programmes with at least 5 years at senior level.
iv) Experience in Multilateral Environmental Agreements, and
v) Working Experience with regional Organizations will be an added advantage.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
Analytical skills, computer skills, communication skills, interpersonal skills, numerical skills, presentation skills, research skills, planning skills, monitoring skills, evaluation skills, project implementation skills; and the ability to identify and relate to other disciplines and diverse external clients and Partners.
Eligibility for applications:
Considering the current status of quota points per Partner State under East
African Community Secretariat, only Applicants from the Republics of Burundi,
Rwanda, Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania are eligible to apply.
Terms and Conditions of Service
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once and is subject to the application of the EAC Quota System.
This post offers attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance,education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective countries. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience
Internship, training, apprenticeship and clerkship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned positions are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, and names and contact details of three referees.
Please quote the respective reference number on both on the application letter and
envelope. For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Thursday, 13th August 2015.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of academic certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
Executive Selection Division
Deloitte Consulting Limited
10th Floor PPF Tower
Cnr of Ohio Street & Garden Avenue:
P O Box 1559 Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania
Fax +255(22) 2116379
2014 Deloitte Consulting Ltd. Member of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu